The 13 Essential Friendship Traits
- I am trustworthy.
- I am honest with others.
- I am generally very dependable.
- I am loyal to the people I care about.
- I am easily able to trust others.
- I experience and express empathy (Links to an external site.) for others.
- I am able to be non-judgmental.
- I am a good listener.
- I am supportive of others in their good times.
- I am supportive of others in their bad times.
- I am self-confident.
- I am usually able to see the humor (Links to an external site.) in life.
- I am fun to be around.
After going down the list of the traits to have in a friendship, I realized that I possess a lot of these qualities. I am not saying this to brag or boot my self-esteem, because I truly believe that most people possess multiple qualities in this list. One of my strengths on this list is being able to listen well to others. For example, my friend is having an especially hard week this week and I have been able to just listen to what she has going on and be there for her. Sometimes it is best to just listen to what is going on with a person instead of always trying to fix their problems. However, one of my weaknesses is being quick to judge someone. I often make assumptions about people without ever meeting them before. This is has been a struggle for me for a long time, but I have been working on not being so quick to judge. I learned this last week when people were quick to judge me and my roommate, and they had never spoken to me or met me before. I now know what it feels like to receive that judgement and I am more careful to cast judgement on others.